Tue, 24 May|
Unlocking IP-Backed Financing Options for new Economy Companies
Why IP-backed Financing and what good is it for companies considered to be disruptors of traditional industries?
Time & Location
24 May 2022, 21:30 GMT+8 – 25 May 2022, 10:30 GMT+8
Why IP-backed Financing and what good is it for companies considered to be 'disruptors' of traditional industries? What is IP-backed financing and how does it fit into the realm of commercial financing? How is IP-backed Financing structured? How can businesses in Hong Kong, particularly tech companies and financing bodies such as banks and venture capital firms, position themselves to capture the opportunities associated with IP-backed financing?
Intellectual property (IP), usually in the form of patents, copyright, trademarks and trade secrets, is quickly becoming one of the most valued asset classes across the globe. They also serve as a fuel for the 'new economy', where industry incumbents and 'disruptors' drive economic growth and productivity through the introduction of novel and unique goods and services based on cutting edge technology.
This has in turn fostered the emergence of IP-backed financing - a type of funding where IP is used as the loan collateral - in countries such as the United States and those in the European Union, as well as the Asia Pacific region. For those seeking to raise funds, IP-backed financing provides a cost-effective alternative to traditional financing solutions but without the downside of diluting owner equity. For those providing financing, their interests are protected through specialised IP collateral protection insurance which allows lenders to recover financial losses in the event of a loan default.
The Chamber is pleased to have assembled a panel of experts to pull the veil back on IP-backed Financing as a viable funding tool at a webinar on 24 May 2022. Speakers will discuss the case for popularizing IP-backed financing in Hong Kong and ways for businesses to unlock the value of their intangible assets for growth.
- Mr Poh Chua, Senior Managing Director & Head of Asia of Aon IP Solutions, Aon
- Ms Alicia Liu, Executive Director, Head of Greater China Loans, Client Financing & Solutions, Nomura International (Hong Kong)
- Dr Gordon Yen, Founding Managing Partner, Radiant Tech Ventures
- Mr Edward Sit, Chief Financial Officer, IPification
Key discussion points will include:
• What is behind the growing trend in the US for tech companies to seek IP-backed financing?
• How can Hong Kong-based companies take advantage of IP-backed financing to raise working capital?
• What are the issues that insurers should pay attention to when underwriting an IP portfolio?
• What are the key considerations to conducting effective IP valuation?
• How does IP insurance mitigate financial institutions' downside risk?
This is an event for businesses in the innovative and technology fields particularly companies that are considering funding of around US$25-100 million and with patents registered in the US and/or EU, as well as financial institutions (including banks, insurers, family offices and private equity or venture capital funds).
This webinar is an initiative of the Chamber's ad-hoc IP-backed Financing Working Group which was established in 2022 to promote Hong Kong as an IP financing and trading hub.
How to register for the event:
- Please click here to register via zoom.
- Upon successful registration of the event, a unique webinar access link will be sent by Zoom to your registered email