Initiated in 1997, the European Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong (ECC) is a non-governmental business interest group. The ECC is a ‘Chamber of Chambers’ with its membership comprising 15 European Chambers based in Hong Kong and 1 in Macau. The appointed representatives of these chambers make up the ECC board of directors.
The ECC’s key objectives are to:
- Provide a channel of communication within European chambers in Hong Kong and economical circles.
- Promote commercial, industrial, financial, scientific and other economic exchanges of all types between Hong Kong and the European Union.
- Identify the problems that European companies may encounter in their development within Hong Kong and their extended Mainland Chinese market.
- Host functions that allow members to discuss and network with Hong Kong and European officials.
The day-to-day operations of the EU Business Information Programme (EUBIP) are run by the ECC office.
The Board of the European Chamber is responsible for the strategic development of Chamber activities. The current Board comprises:
2017 Chairman of the European Chamber of Commerce
German Chamber of Commerce
2017 Vice Chairman of the European Chamber of Commerce
Irish Chamber of Commerce
- Wilhelm Brauner, Austrian Chamber of Commerce
- Bernard van Hees, Belgian-Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce
- Andrew Seaton, British Chamber of Commerce
- Jens-Erik Olsen, Danish Chamber of Commerce
- Daniël de Blocq van Scheltinga, Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Treasurer)
- Ville Sarja, Finnish Chamber of Commerce
- Richard Burton, French Chamber of Commerce
- Wolfgang Niedermark, German Industry & Commerce
- Fabio De Rosa, Italian Chamber of Commerce
- Andrius Bartuskevicius, Lithuanian Chamber of Commerce
- Maggie Tumenbatur, Romanian Chamber of Commerce
- Marisa Flores, Spanish Chamber of Commerce
- Karine Hirn, Swedish Chamber of Commerce
- Filipe Santos, Portuguese-Chinese Chamber of Commerce (Macao)
- Christopher Hammerbeck, European Chamber of Commerce (Special Advisor)
*The Chairmanship of the European Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong rotates alphabetically through the member EU Chambers. The Vice-Chairman is the following year’s Chairman. Both positions are held for one year.